Australia in East Africa
Welcome! Karibu! Kaze! Tukusanyukidde! Soo Dhahwow! Murakaza neza!
This is the official website of the Australian High Commission to Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda, the Australian Embassy to Burundi and Somalia, and the Australian delegations to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habitat). The Australian High Commission in Nairobi also engages with the East African Community (EAC)and International Conference of the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR).
Follow us on Facebook @AustraliaInEastAfrica and Twitter @AusHCKenya for the latest news and activities of the Australian Governmment in East Africa, as well as Australia's many cultural, development, humanitarian, business and sporting links with the region.
There's nothing like Australia!
For Australians in East Africa:
The Australian Government provides consular, passport, travel advisory and notarial support to Australians in East Africa. We also share information on national and state elections.
- A by-election for the federal electoral Division of New England in New South Wales will be held on Saturday 2 December 2017.
- A by-election for the federal electoral Division of Bennelong in New South Wales will be held on Saturday 16 December 2017.
24-hour Consular Support
Need emergency consular assisantance? Please call any time, any day:
You can also call the Australia High Commission in Nairobi, Kenya, on +254 20 4277 100 during local business hours.
To learn more about what we can and cannot do, please refer to the Consular Services Charter.
Is your passport lost or stolen in East Africa?
- Report the loss or theft online
- Contact the Australia High Commission in Nairobi (contact details above) during local business hours
- Call the Australian Passport Information Service on 131 232 from within Australia.
- Seek more information on the Australian Passports Office website.
Need information on visiting or living East Africa? Read the Australian Government’s:
- Travel advice for Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Tanzania and Uganda
- Smartraveller bulletins on special issues and events
- Tips for travellers
We encourage all Australian travellers and expatriates in East Africa to:
- REGISTER your travel or residency plans
- SUBSCRIBE to travel advice updates – stay notified!
- INSURE yourself and all your belongings
Registering with the Australian High Commission in Kenya is very important. This information will help us to contact or find you in an emergency - whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or family emergency. It may also be used to pass other information to you such as important travel advice updates, notice of elections and information on other matters relevant to travellers and expatriates.
The Australian High Commission in Kenya may be able to provide notarial services and document legalisation, including the issuing of Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) and the legalisation of signatures and seals that appear on Australian public documents (authentications and apostilles). We can also certify copies of Australian documents or documents intended for use in Australia, witness signatures on Australian forms, witness the signing of Australian Statutory Declarations, and witness the making of an Australian Affidavit. Fees apply.